Lately I’ve been on a bit of a health kick by trying to eat a little better and exercise at least a couple of days a week. However, most days I find myself needing a little sweet treat to keep me satisfied so my brain doesn’t go haywire and binge at midnight. Usually I’ll start my morning off with some plain Greek yogurt and blueberries, or a veggie scramble with toast, but I love to have a baked companion for my coffee. This weekend I decided to prep a little something to bring to work – it’s a little sweet, and a lot crumbly.
– 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
– 1 cup flour
– 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/8 teaspoon of salt
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
– 1 cup rolled oats
– 1 stick (aka 1/2 cup) of butter, softened
– 1 cup raspberry jam, seeded or seedless
// To make:
01. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8×8 baking tin.
02. Combine sugar, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and oats in a medium bowl. With hands or a pastry blender, combine dry ingredients with the butter until you’ve formed a crumbly mixture.
03. Scoop 2 cups of the mixture onto the baking sheet, and press firmly with the back of a wooden spoon or your knuckles to create the bottom crust. Be sure to press the edges well.
04. Spread the jam on top of the crust, leaving a 1/4 inch border around the edges (this will prevent them from browning too much).
05. Scoop the rest of the crumble on top, lightly pressing down.
06. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden.
07. Allow to cool, then eat up!
– – – – –