I wasn’t able to take as many photos of these delicious donuts as I would have hoped because of the terrible lighting and bad weather on Columbus Day weekend in New Hampshire, but I had to share because they’re that good!
I recently picked up a donut pan from Goodwill and have been dying to make baked donuts! Awhile back, I made baked gluten free donuts with my friend Lauren (recipe here), and since I got my own pan, I had been on the lookout for the perfect recipe. I was having trouble finding the right baked donut recipe, and A Happy Food Dance’s recipe was just that! My family loved the donuts, and it was the perfect rainy day activity. Can’t wait to make more!
Donuts (Makes around 8):
+ 5 tablespoons butter, softened
+ ½ cup sugar
+ 1 egg
+ ½ cup milk
+ 1 teaspoon vanilla
+ 1 tablespoon baking powder
+ ½ teaspoon salt
+ 1½ cups all-purpose flour
+ ¼ cup butter, melted
+ mixture of equal parts cinnamon and white sugar – most likely about a ½ cup of each
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly oil donut pan
- In a medium bowl, combined baking powder, salt and flour. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add egg, milk and vanilla and beat mixture lightly. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. (*Note, I didn’t have a stand mixer, but here are great instructions on creaming together butter and sugar by hand)
- Add the wet ingredients in two parts, alternating with the dry ingredients and finish by beating until everything in just combined.
- Transfer the dough to a large ziplock baggie with the tip cut off. Pipe into the donut pan, filling only ½ the way full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack allowing to cool just enough to handle.
- While the donuts are baking, melt butter. In another bowl mix the cinnamon and sugar together for the topping,
- Dip each donut in the butter and then roll in the cinnamon and sugar mixture. You may have to use a spoon to add more of the mixture on top of the donut. Flip over, and spoon over as much of the mixture as desired.
- Enjoy! 🙂