Oh my word! It’s been a year?? It seems like just yesterday the two of us were eating burgers and brainstorming ideas for our little gal. We want to thank you all for stopping by day to day to see what we’re up to!
In honor of her big day, we made some birthday sweets — what else is new?
Spice Cupcakes with Orange Buttercream Frosting
cupcakes adapted via, frosting adapted via
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
For the frosting:
(note – this recipe was not ideal for artsy piping, a little too runny!)
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter, room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream, depending on desired consistency
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
01. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with a centered rack. Line your muffin tin and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and coriander.
02. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions milk and beating well after each addition.
03. Transfer batter by heaping tablespoonfuls to cups. Bake until golden brown at edges and a toothpick inserted in center of a cake comes out clean, about 20 minutes, rotating pans once. Let cakes cool in pans, 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
04. While cupcakes cool, make your frosting. In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, zest, cinnamon, and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spoon into a plastic baggie with a cut tip or a piping bag and get frosting!
After our shoot, we ate a whole lot of snacks and sparkling cider with Reg’s roomies to continue the celebration- more on that later!
Paper Source Backdrop // Candles, Gold Sprinkles & Cupcake Liners – Stop & Shop (I know, right? So cute!) // Cake Stand – Old, Marshalls