We’ve been having some seriously sweet teeth lately, and these personal sized pies were just the thing to satisfy our cravings. Using a recipe adapted from Forty-Sixth at Grace, we present you with some easy-to-make heart shaped hand pies – just in time for Valentine’s Day!
Recipe yields 20 pies.
For the pies:
– 2 boxes of store bought pie dough (2 crusts per box), room temperature
– 3 cups frozen blueberries
– 1/3 cup granulated sugar
– 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
– 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
– 1/8 teaspoon of salt
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– heart-shaped cutter, about the size of your palm
For the egg wash:
– 1 egg
– 1 tablespoon heavy cream
For the icing (optional):
– 1 tablepoon lemon juice
– roughly 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (you can eyeball it to the consistency you’d like)
// To begin…
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Once crusts are at room temp, gently unroll onto a floured surface.
2. Using your cutter, cut away at each crust. You should get 10 hearts per crust (40 hearts total).
3. Place 10 crusts on parchment covered baking sheet and set to the side.
4. Time to make the filling – mix blueberries, sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, salt, and lemon juice in a medium bowl.
5. Evenly place 1 tablespoon of filling onto each crust on the baking sheet, leaving room around the edges.
6. Place top crusts on the filled ones, and gently use a fork to press together. It’s okay if the filling oozes a bit.
7. In a small bowl, mix your egg wash. Lightly brush on the top of each pie. Then use a sharp knife to slice the top of each pie so the air can escape while baking.
8. Repeat this process on another baking sheet to make all of your pies.
9. Bake 15-18 minutes until golden on top and edges.
10. If icing, allow to cool for 20 minutes, then drizzle on top.